Prayers and Apples would like to encourage readers to pray for and support the victims of Hurricane Sandy in any way possible.
How to Help Supply Food & Shelter
- Donate to the Red Cross online
- Donate to the Salvation Army online
- Donate to Feeding America online
- Donate to AmeriCares online
- Donate to World Vision online
- Donate to Save the Children online
- Donate to the Red Cross on the phone: 1-800-Red-Cross
- Donate to Feeding America on the phone: 1-800-910-5524
- Donate $10 to the Red Cross via text: text the word “Redcross” to 90999
- Donate $10 to the Salvation Army via text: text the word “STORM” to 80888
- Donate $10 to New York Cares via text: text the word “iCARE” to 85944
- Donate to the New York Foodbank via text: text the word “FBNYC” to 50555
How to Help Animals
- Donate to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals online
- Donate to the Humane Society online
How to Help By Donating Blood
- Donate blood – call for information: 1-800-933-2566
- Donate blood – check online for information
How to Help by Volunteering
If you come across other donation opportunities and want to make sure the organization is legitimate, The Wall Street Journal recommends running each nonprofit’s name through one of the following sites: Wise Giving Alliance, GuideStar and/or Charity Navigator.
For the most recent information on Hurricane Sandy’s damages, see The New York Time‘s article, Assessing Damage from Hurricane Sandy.
Abbey, J. “How to Help Hurricane Sandy Victims.” (30 October 2012). ABC World News (Online). Retrieved: 30 October 2012.
“Assessing Damage from Hurricane Sandy.” (29 October 2012). The New York Times (Online). Retrieved: 30 October 2012.
Ladaga, L.A. “Superstorm Sandy: How to Help.” (29 October 2012.) Yahoo! News. Retrieved: 30 October 2012.
Marte, J. “Hurricane Sandy Relief: How to Help.” (29 October 2012.) The Wall Street Journal (Online). Retrieved: 29 October 2012.
Schlinkert, S. “Hurricane Sandy: How to Help the Recovery Effort.” (30 October 2012.) The Daily Beast. Retrieved: 30 October 2012.